Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

twine wrapped card tutorial

First of all, a big huge welcome to my new followers! Am I a dork for being super pumped about having more than 10 followers? Oh well, call me a dork. Won't be the first time. Please leave comments. I especially love suggestions and feedback...especially if you have cool tips and tricks to save time or take my work to the next level! I'll be sure to check out your blogs as well.

This is my first real tutorial! I don't have a tripod (and I don't know how to edit video yet) so this is just pics & instructions for now. I'll get on the video thing sooner than later, hopefully.

These cards are small cards made from scraps (I love scraps!) that I'm delivering with no envelopes. Some of my RAs (Resident Assistants) did really well last quarter academically and I wanted to recognize their hard work with a special card and little treat. On to the tutorial!

Materials I used:
Card base - Friendly Forest patterned paper cut 6x4
Layers - Friendly Forest 1x4 coordinating scraps (2 each)
Border punch - EK Success (not sure of the name, but it's a "notebook sheet" punch)
Circle punch - Fiskars 1" punch
1/8 hole punch - Martha Stewart (I only used this because I don't have an SU! slit punch)
"Hello" stamp - Studio G
Large brad from Staples (as with all the other items, any brad will do)
Twine from my stash from the Dollar Tree - about 9.5" or what ever size will go around your card 2 times plus an extra couple of inches
Adhesive - Scotch ATG (anything you normally use to adhere paper will do), Glue Dots (you absolutely need some form of a glue dot. I wouldn't use dimensionals for this because your twine might get caught in it and pull it off.)

Stamp your sentiment on scrap paper and punch it out with the circle punch. Set it aside. Score and fold card base at 3"to make a 3x4 card. Punch one of the layers with a border punch, and glue the two layered pieces together. Make sure the punched sheet is on the left and under the unpunched layer. Use a hole or slit punch about halfway down the top layer near the edge. I used a 1/8 inch punch and just punched a few holes side by side to create a slit.
At this point, or sometime before, you should write your message in your card. You won't want to try to do it after you attach the top layer. Add adhesive to the back of your attached layers and insert brad. Before bending down the prongs, tie the twine around the base. I did it twice because I'm paranoid about my cards falling apart. :)
Bend down the prongs and press them as flat as possible.
Attach to the front of the card. The edge where the brad is will not lay flat against the card. If this is going to bother you, I suggest using dimensional adhesive to attach the layer to the card. Attach a glue dot to the head of the brad.
Attach your sentiment. This is why you need the glue dot (or some other adhesive that attaches paper and metal). Wrap your twine around the card and around the brad. You may have to push up at bit on the brad from behind to get the twine around it.
Try it out and have fun. Use your scraps, and don't worry about sizes and materials. Challenge yourself to just use what you have without cutting any new paper for the entire card and do your own thing!

From my happy place to yours!
Debbie

1 comment:

Michellesmyname said...

That's great Debbie! Thanks for the how-to!